Monday, August 31, 2009

Mount Washington

Last week, I was lucky enough to get up on the Comox Glacier. You could see Mount Washington about 30+ kms away and a tad lower. Back east, I have been lucky enough to climb Mount Washington in New Hampshire numerous times, and last year even got to run up the beast.. I always wanted to bike up it as well, but they only allow that during their annual race.

What's the answer? Bike up Mount Washington here of course. I got that done today on another sunny day in Paradise. Great to leave the house with a lunch, some water and a fleece top. The ride from Courtenay took an hour. The slog up 16 kms of 8-12% grade took a tad over 2 hours more. I was on a mountain bike that is a tad small for me and has a big cushy, bouncy saddle, so a decent percentage of my effort was not directed towards getting me up the mountain. In low gear pretty much all the way.

Looking back on Comox Glacier was too cool. My quads still hurt from that hike. Body parts don't recover like they did in my 30's.

The ride down took less than 30 minutes and was a blast. Had to peddle 2 small sections, the rest was easy flow and at times a tad speedy (like when your helmet wants to lift off your head)

I'm about ready to blow this popsicle stand and go hike Repack Mountain just north of San Francisco. It's where mountain biking got it's start. I was there hiking with Dutch buddy Alex Oppedijk back in the late 70's (or early 80's, the detail escapes me)

No comments: