Monday, August 24, 2009

Elderly man visits Fanny Bay

I just spent 2 weeks Wwoofing for Barbara and Bryne Odegard at Ironwood Farm in Fanny Bay. It was a very rewarding time that will have an even more positive effect on me over time. Outdoors all day, lots of sun, picking, weeding and planting. I finished off most days with a run, a beer and an outdoor shower. We ate outside on the deck, the meals were abundant, the desserts amazing and the conversations with the hosts and other Wwoofers ranged from the silly to the sublime.

Over the 2 weeks, I shared space with people from New Zealand, B.C, Manitoba, Czech and Germany. Everyone had done quite a bit of travelling already in their lives and there were many great stories. Backpackers tend to be a positive, chill, resourceful crowd. Wwoofers are willing to work all day for room&board, so they will always have an interesting life story.

What makes Ironwood special is the hosts Barbara, Bryne (and Barbara's Mom, Oma, a life-force in her own right and the maker of desserts to die for). They have hosted 500-600 Wwoofers over the years, This means that every week or so they introduce another 3-4 people into the extended Ironwood family. People from all over the world, speaking many different languages, with different cultural backgrounds and life experiences. How cool is that? Barbara and Bryne work harder than anyone I have ever met and yet are also 2 of the coolest, accepting, attentive people I have met as well. Their organic farm may get smaller over the years, but I certainly hope that they continue to host Wwoofers for many years to come.

Being at Ironwood is really a life-changing experience. If you are a traveller, you are looking for something. You can find it at Ironwood.

4 comments:

Pat Power said...

Good looking red-neck shower Bruce but why are you showing off that pasty white body of yours? and what's with taking a beer into the shower? What is the definition of chill when used as an adjective. Backpackers tend to be a chill crowd, (obviously I'm not part of the crowd)

All the best Bruce, you are definitely living my dream, I just don't have the guts to walk the talk.
Cheers
Pat

bcmurphy said...

Pat,

Leaving Dal was easy for me. Right person at the right time. The past few weeks just drive home the fact that it was my time to go. I'm poorer and happier. Life is cool. I am chill.

Greg macDonald said...

Tough, you think that Woofing is tough, I'll show you tough. Last Friday, in the hot blistering sun, I went into my backyard and hacked and sliced my way through 18 dahlia's placed them in a container and hiked to the front of my property. I then proceed to construct 2 signs saying, "Free Flowers (but if you would like to thank me I like beer.") When The Lovely Ann came home from the Y, there was no flowers, but there was a note signed by a neighbour saying, "We don't have any beer, please enjoy this bottle of wine." Now that's organic gardening with payback! Woofing, you got to love it.

Gregor

Sue/Robert said...

Loved the write-up, Bruce, Ironwood sounds like a gem of a place!.....and loved the comments! Greg, you can WWOOF, clip weeds and cook up a storm with the best of them....hugs to all from
Sue & Robert now in the Whites volunteering...tough life, they cook up our meals and we tell 'em "where to go".....trails, that is!!!!