Friday, August 28, 2009

Comox Glacier

Wow!

I first saw the Comox Glacier in the late 70's. Wanted to go up then but other than day-hiking in Switzerland, had not spent any time up in mountains. Of course, once the Gonzo Adventure Club started hiking, these things became possible. Saw the Glacier again in 2007, but my travel list was quite full. Relatives to see for the first time, bungy-jumping, surfing, floatplanes and hot springs took up my time.

Out to visit family again on my way to NWZ and I can see the Glacier from my sister's house. I HAVE to get up that beast. My sister did her thing and next thing you know I'm on a waiting list for a 3 day hike. The list doesn't move for a month, but my contact (Ken Rodonet) is nice enough to hook with up with a private hike that will take just the one day. Excellent. I like a challenge. As it turns out the challenge was a 14 hour dayhike that we pushed a little and did in 12. Yousa! Longest dayhike up a mountain before was maybe 9 hours. Those few extra hours have a cost. I feel like hamburger all over.

We meet up the night before the hike and drive 2 hours to the trailhead to campout. The road requires a 4 wheel drive and the a long wheelbase as there are dozens of de-certified culverts along the way. Any one of them would swallow my sister's car whole. My fellow hikers were an experienced, multi-talented, accomplished 'croo (Will Wright, Linda, Bob, Loren, George and Tim). People had travelled and hiked and climbed all over the world. They knew Vancouver Island's mountains and caves inside out. I was pretty sure that we could handle any situation that might occur.

Up before dawn to pack up and start hiking at first light (6:00 Am). It took 2 hours to top the ridge and we climbed a solid 2000 feet in that time frame. Lots of ongoing chit chat and a few breaks for water and clothing adjustments. The weather was gorgeous, sunny and very clear with a light, cool breeze. Hike leader Will pointed out a lot of neighbouring peaks and lakes. We could see for many kilometers. The mountains here are higher and newer than back east, and they have snow!

There were a lot of little tricky bits on this climb, some including ropes for handholds. Definitely a bit more challenging than Mount Washington in New Hampshire. It took a full 7 hours to hit the top of the glacier. 7 hours! That's a full day for me. Time to crack a few beers. Oddly enough, I had a Tuborg with me, as I love to celebrate peaks with a beer, but with 5-6 hours of hiking left, I decided to leave the little canned joy in my knapsack. So much for my old trailname - Tuborg.

Of course, by new-ish trailname is Dipper. I WILL swim anywhere. I wasn't going to miss this opportunity, and got in a chilly submersion in a little pool on top of the glacier plateau (5000+ ft). Didn't go for the one with ice still in it. Be-still my heart.

The hike back was over 5 hours. I figure my knees gave out at about 3 hours and my quads the last hour or so. I was wearing my water shoes, not the best choice for hiking period. They slid around a bit and have the best foot contact at times.

We went out for dinner, schmoozed a bit and then it was back to my sister's. I fell asleep on the couch, then in the tub with water in it, in the tub with no water in it, on the bed in my skivvies, then finally in the bed itself.

Seize the day? I certainly did that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well done frodo! u made it to the mountain and threw yourself in. a bit disappointing about the tuborg tho.... you'll have to plan your adventures a wee bit more carefully next time.

stunning views up there i bet. looking forward to some pix.

i can see the headlines now...."HOMELESS HOBO HOBBIT FOUND FROZEN IN ALPINE PUDDLE WITH SMILE ON FACE Authorities are concerned about how long it took for Rescue Personel to pry a half empty can of Tuborg from the hand of a strange fellow found yesterday at the summit of Mt Everest. Local Coroner's chief was startled this morning when the body finally showed signs of thawing enough to commence with the post mortem. "Thirty years I've been hanging around dead folk and never a qualm...until today! Just as I was about to make the first incision the corpse sat bolt upright, skolled the rest of the Tuborg...belched and then lay back down!!! Interesting, but didn't bother me a bit. What scared Hell out of me was the smile that slowly formed on this odd fellow's face! It was just plain freaky."

No one has claimed the body so authorities have decided to intern it at the Everest base camp with a plaque that reads.... ""HERE LIES A CARELESS ADVENTURER WHO THOUGHT HE COULD CLIMB THIS MOUNTAIN WITH A TWENTY TWO POUND PACK...AND A BEER. BE FORWARNED. TWENTY TWO POUNDS IS THE LIMIT!!!"" -AP