Saturday, August 29, 2009

Dipper buys new gear! Stock market in turmoil

It has been intimated that I keep things past their due date. Cars, clothes, sports gear, flotsam and jetsam. Well no more! Thanks to the generosity of the Gonzo 'croo at the various going-away parties, I had a tidy stash of $$$ that was supposed to be spent in some unique way. Me buying new gear is pretty unique, so here goes.

In the picture above, Tevas, shorts, a fleece top and...GASP! a new knapsack. I know, not a big deal to most of the planet, but to me, a serious personal growth issue. I had the original 40 liter bag since 1979 and it has seen it's share of fun. I even lent it a few times to people travelling oveseas and down south. I get attached to all my stuff and especially my gear.

The average age of the gear that is being replaced is 15 years. Just take a second to let that sink in. 15 years. I like to be the last person to use anything I own. You'll never see me hawking stuff at the Canada Day Marina party.

The new bag is a Deuter, and I love it already. I could go into minute detail about why I love it, but hey! I hope to have this bag for years, so you'll get to hear my story somewhere along the line.

So, thanks again to those who contributed to my new look.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so...we gonna have wake for the old gear or what?

Katka said...

Bruce, what´s the best of all this is, that your new backpack is still the same size as the old one... Which is great. You should teach us, how to travel with such a small backpack:-)... You did see all our staff:-).

Take care
Kate (Ironwood Farm)

bcmurphy said...

A wake for the gear? I was thinking of burying it somewhere. That's what I did with my only other backpack ( a rucksack I took to Israel)

The difference between a small pack and big one is almost all clothes. I still do a full laundry every week or so like everyone else. The difference is that I have to do a little laundry every say as I have only a few of each article.

The flexibility a smaler pack gives you is worth it's weight in gold.