Monday, September 07, 2009

Tofino, Tofino, Tofino!

Been a busy week, beating up my aging body. Comox Glacier, Mount Washington, walk Ucluelet to Tofino, surfing and some pretty serious partying. I couldn't afford to stay in Tofino anymore. Spending too much money, drinking too much beer and running out of time.

Went to Port Alberni last Tuesday. Great hostel (Fat Salmon), but did not like the town that much. Took the Frances Barkley ferry out to Ucluelet on the West Coast. Wonderful way to spend a morning. Mountains all around, salmon feeding everywhere, lots of sport fisherman boats and remote camps everywhere. Was lucky enough to see my first whales (humpbacks with the tail fin). Very exciting

Hostels were full in Ucluelet (I hate booking ahead, but really, it makes sense in small towns), so I ended up in a nice B&B. Tooled about town, but did not go on the Wild Pacific trail. Too beat up from Monday still. Dinner was on a ferry docked in the harbour. Gorgeous weather, nice chatting with non-backpacking tourists.

Left B&B at 6:00 AM in the dark and pouring rain for the 42 km walk to Tofino. Tough decision. Wanted to sleep in, have brekkie and take the bus. Weather improved all day. Did a few kms of walking on the beach between Wikkaninish and Long Breach, otherwise on the road. I can walk 30 kms quite easy, the last 10 seem to beat me up a lot. Mucho pain to spread around. New backpack performed well. Nice to have all that cushioning and weight adjustments.

Tofino was great. Love the hostel (Whalers). Great physical layout for socializing, right on the water so we got in a big bonfire on Thursday nite. Travellers from all over the globe hanging out, drinking beer and speaking English (thank goodness). Friday nite was a great songfest inside the hostel (mucho rain outside). Decent sized crowd off to the bars after midnight. My roomies partied till 5:00 AM. I stopped at 1:00. Don't remember ever having that kind of jam.

Went to see Barbara (from the Wwoofing farm Ironwood) on Saturday morning at the market, then off surfing for the afternoon. I am now a surfer. Got another injury (bruised ribs) and spent mucho time on top of my board. Yeah! The coaches were giving me suggestions about where to place my hands on the pop-up (not on the side rails) and what to do with my feet (point sideways, like on a snowboard). Surfing is a lot more fun on top of the board. I can see why people get addicted.

Saturday nite, my roomies again went till 5:00 AM (I peeled at 1:00 again). Derek had just moved to Tofino and his first shift on the new job was for 5:45 AM. These people are serious. Mucho hilarity for so early in the day.

Back In Courtenay now, preparing to blow this popsicle stand. Daughter Sophie and I talk on the phone, she has opted to skip Korea and will be working in Nelson, New Zealand later this week! Weird. Will have to go see her, as we will be in the same country. Maybe visit for Emily's birthday in November. That would be cool.

Life is good.



Comox 2009

1 comment:

johnny mccracken said...

With shots like that Bruce, you may have had an 'extra' horseshoe in that often referred to location!

Sounds like you're having a blast - and making me very jealous - which I'm assuming is one of your intentions.

I've been to San Francisco twice, first time was in 1979 when I hitchhiked from T.O. to Laguna Beach, Ca. and lived on the beach for a month. Met a lot of characters and got my first, really good tan.

Anyway, stay safe and enjoy.