Saturday, September 19, 2009

The "SHOT'!

Alex and I first met in Israel in 1977. We roomed together on Kibbutz Shefayim for a few months. We did a lot of running and reading and listening to music. As it turns out, we are both quite competitive. A good example would be the race up Masada on a very hot day. Only stupid, competitive people even think of these things.

Over the years, we have kept in touch with him visiting Halifax on his trips from Holland to California, or me visiting California. The visit before this one however, was at least 25 years ago. Sure enough, we meet up and go for a run or a hke right away. This time in was Marin headlands just over the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, followed up by Mt Tamalpais (home of MTB biking), where i was lucky enough to get stung by a bee on my lip. Off the Emergency while my lip and face puffed up like an over-pumped bicycle tube. It took a few days to settle.

On the second day of the visit, we did a long hike and swim, followed by a few beer and some horseshoes. We are old enough now not to be competing on hikes and runs, the parts don't like it anymore (of course, I'm just being nice to my host). As the horseshoe competition heated up, we ended up with the scenario you see above.

A ringer, on top of a leaner, on top of a ringer. Four great shots. Unfortunately, Alex had the upper hand on this finish.

Og course, for the day, I was the ultimate game to break all ties. With a ringer, of course...

3 comments:

Connie said...

Bruce, I'm just getting back from my Vacation in Europe. My First time there and I LOVED it!!

Just catching up on your blog and I'm very envious of you. What a Fantastic time your having!! I've been to San Fran and some of the places you mention in Vancouver Island (Tofino, Long Beach, etc..). Beautiful places!! Always wanted to try surfing, but not knowing how to swim puts a damper on things.

I Love your "new" Deuter knapsack. Funny, I just bought one myself for my trip to Europe. Mine is just a 35 but I LOVE it!! Best Knapsack I've ever had. Great for Travelling and SO MANY zippered compartments, it's Great!

Safe Travels Bruce!!

Connie

Anonymous said...

Hey Bruce-I noticed that you didn't mention that "WOMAN (Alex's wife, Judy) BEATS THE DIPPER AT HORSESHOES" while visiting us in California--oh, how quickly we forget! But don't worry, it'll just be OUR little secret. We loved having you here-you are lots of fun. Love, Judy (the woman who beat you!)

xx said...

Alex and Judy - - can you send me your email address - I just happened to google alex and here he is. Judy, I guess you are the technical one in the family.
I hope you are all well -
have Alex give us a call - unless he lost our number and then I can get your email - we have an event coming up - snd anniversary of someone's 25th birthday we would like to invite you to. Sorry to use the hobo blog for this.