Saturday, October 10, 2009

Kaingaroa and 90 Mile Beach

Three weeks in New Zealand already? Somehow December seems like just around the corner. I'm still only 100+ kms from the top of North Island. What have I been doing? Walking, Wwoofing, swimming, surfing, backpacking, hitchiking, roofing, weeding, schmoozing. It has been a blast. Such a cool country to be in. Spent the first few days in Auckland, getting over jet lag, getting the phone setup, checking out buses, bars, museums and walking about. This place is expensive.

Headed up to Paihia (Bay of Islands - funky town)) for a night, then hitch-hiked over to Kaitaia for a night, then walked 20+ kms to my first Wwoofing farm. Gorgeous scenery, much like Ireland, but with low mountains and a lot more cultivation. Interesting week on the farm. Lots of horses, dogs, cats, goats, birds, mini-horses, geese, rottweilers. Allergies held up good till about 4th day, then deteriorated from the overload. Took a few days away from the farm to recover. Really loved tramping about the farm in my big rubber boots. My hosts got me to 90 Mile Beach and swimming in Doubtless Bay. All in all a pretty cool week.

Took 5 days off to backpack and had an astounding time. Will do a post about serendipity after this post. Hiked up to Cape Reinga, the sand dunes and back to Henderson Bay and stayed in a really cool hostel with great hosts. Walked 25 kms the following day and spent a few hours on 90 Mile beach (absolute heaven). Next hiked to Ahipara and the funky hostel, Endless Summer on the beach. Spent a great night partying and went surfing the next day. The local conditions had every surfer within many kms showing up in the pouring rain. Too cool.

Next day, I walked the 35+ kms to my next Wwoofing farm (still in Kaingaroa). Spent the week digging up soil that was mostly clay. Toughest physical work I've done in awhile. I was the only Wwoofer that week and stayed in a bunk-house, making my own meals. Alone except for dropping up for a glass of wine or beer with the hosts. Really enjoyed the week, and it gave me some space.

Been travelling for 3 months now and spend a lot of time in social situations. Nice to be alone with my thoughts for a few days. Next hiked to Paihia again and spent a great day. Would love to spend a full week here, but the rest of NZ beckons. Bussed to Auckland, got my phone back, my haircut, got up on the internet and news. Baseball, hockey and football don't exist here and most of my online time is emails, Facebook, hostels, buses and Wwoofing. The hitchhiking is great here. Takes a few hours to go 100 kms, usually 3-4 rides from a mix of Maori, Pakeha (non-indigenous New Zealanders) and tourists. The topography is stunning, and I'm still just peeling the wrapper.

90 Mile Beach - Heaven!


4 comments:

Oceandavid said...

Hey Bruce, sounds like your really missing your cubicle and the old work environment.

Connie said...

Happy Thanks Giving Bruce!!
NZ sounds Fantastic! That's on my To GO list. Love reading your posts. Your doing exactly what people should DO when they retire (that's SEE the World). I hope to be right behind you, only I'm starting now and not waiting for retirement. You can never see it all. Safe Travels Bruce!

Sue & Robert said...

Love this write-up and the videos are very cool.....the North Island is new to us and we can feel it beckoning. Looking forward to hearing how you like the South Island where we toured 4 years ago!

jonbruhm said...

You think NZ is expensive, good think you're not going to Oz!