Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Wicked

After flying back up to Auckland (much cheaper than bus/ferry/hostel/food/bus), I settled in for a few days of R&R. On the go for many days on the road meant that I needed a break. First break was free upgrade to a double room in the YHA hostel. The local internet place was $1 an hour and I caught up on all my reading gossip politics sports and email. Did some Christmas shopping, read a few books and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Got the China visa no problem (no itinerary, no plane ticket, no entry point pre-defined...all verbal).

Flight to Sydney went off fine and Chuck (Donna Bernard's cousin) picked me up for a full day of sight-seeing and bar hopping. We walked the Harbour bridge and I got my first look at the Opera House. Stunning. Too bad not opera season yet and the ballet was sold-out already. We met a few of Chuck's buddies (Adam and Alex) at a pub, me drinking some great Aussie beer (Fat Yak and BlueTongue pilsner) and eating kangaroo for the first time (Fair dinkum, I thought they were spoofing me).

I love Sydney Harbour. A real lively place. Over the next few days I walked around it, took boats hither and yon and thoroughly enjoyed the space. I made it out to North Head of the harbour on a big loop that included Bondi beach. Chuck and Flora took me out to Manly and North Head the next day.

I can''t say enough about nice Chuck&Flora have been to me. Taking me places, feeding me BBQ and beer and wine, taking me to/from the airport, laundry, internet, stereo. I feel guilty taking so much with not much in return. I certainly hope I can return the favour for them or their friends. If not, I'll just pay it forward. I agree with Chuck that when you are nice to people, it comes around and people are nice to you.


I spent the week doing things you do in a big metropolis, going to museums (aboriginal, kangaroos, koalas, cassowarys, wombats), aquariums, learning the transit system, shopping, walking, checking out bookstores, beaches, pubs and reading the local rags.

On Tuesday, I lucked into a last-minute lottery ticket for front-row center to see Wicked. It was FABULOUS. I am still always amazed that people can suspend your day-to-day life with set design, lighting, dancing, singing and a play...all set on a stage just in front of you. I would see Wicked again in a New York minute.

Oh yeah! I found a picture of Robert Kaufman's predecessor's, altho much cuter:



Sydney 2009

4 comments:

Sue/Robert said...

Kangaroo meal! Robert's koala brother! Sydney Harbor and beyond! Wicked! Awesome trip, Bruce....can't wait for the next installment from Seoul!

Joey M said...

Very cool Bruce. ...looking forward to hearing about Seoul as well.

Babu said...

Good on ya, mate! Hug a wallaby for me :-)

Susie McD said...

Hope my last post went through.