Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Ever been to sea-kayaking, Brucie?



Stayed with Sue's sister Judy and her partner Bruce in New Brighton (outside Christchurch) for a few days. Had an excellent time. Felt very comfy from the first minute. Of course, Bruce had to take me out sea-kayaking right away. No matter that I had just spent the last 11 hours walking from Amberley. Of course, I said that I had been sea-kayaking, not to mention years of sprint, marathon and white-water kayaking. My sea-kayaking was in coves and small, protected bays. BruceW meant in the ocean with a bit of chop. I'll post the video if I can get it cut down a bit. Had to paddle out past the break just to get to some waves bigger than I've ever been in. Mucho fun if a tad un-nerving.



Judy had some work to do on a house rental, and I opted to tag along. I like doing what my hosts are doing. Better karma. Makes the beer taste a lot better too. After a few days of slave labour, we took a day to sightsee Banks Peninsula. Bruce drives his motorbike there all the time and used to beekeep in the area as well, so we visited a lot of little coves and back roads. As you can see from the pictures, the weather did not cooperate, but the scenery was still magnificent.



Why Bruce is trying to take my attention off the view has never been fully realized.

















New Zealand does not have a lot of uncleared land anymore. When you do venture into the bush, you can be sure that someone has catalogued every little tree and plant. Even the rotting logs get the treatment.



After a few days of serious relaxation, baths, cheese and olive pit rituals, all the beer I could handle, access to the internet and mucho tomfoolery, I headed back to Auckland by plane, became a meateater again after a 2 week break, gave the Chinese Consulate my CDN passport and took the ferry to Coromandel Peninsula.

Will stay here a few days, then head back to Auckland, hopefully get the visa, cleanup a little and head off to Australia.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bruce,
not hard to see why the filmed lord of the rings there.
I'll one up you..we recently had 7 meter waves breaking on lawrencetown..like riding a freight train.
stay rightside up
dave

Anonymous said...

Hi, Bruce,
Sounds as though you've broken through the 3-month barrier in style. We extend our best wishes for continued travel to the destinations you contemplated, and wished to get to.
Cheers,
Chris and Betty