Wednesday, April 14, 2010

New York, New York

HAMLET..................AIDA....................LA TRAVIATA.............

Well, I got back to Botswana, spent a few days catching up and saying goodbye to the people I met, flew down to Johannesburg, did some tourist shopping finally and then flew to Dubai, Houston, Fort Lauderdale to stay with daughter Emily for a week and met the man she is living with, her boyfriend Matt. It was a quiet week for me, some light swimming, sight-seeing, meals and music with Emily and Matt and a lot of sleeping. I was so beat up and it was so nice to be back in America. First morning, it's off to 7/11 for a coffee, donut and the New York Post. Go sit at the beach an schmooze with all the other retired folk.

Next, I flew up to New York with Regina's niece on her private plane. She also got me a private car into Queen's and I got dropped off at the deli near my mother-in-law's (Sara). Pick up a few beer, the local paper and I'm in in New York! The next week was Passover (who knew this was an 8 day holiday...no bagels in the house for 8 days, just matzoh and lots of relatives. Regina flew down from Halifax, Emily and Matt from Florida.

Once the festivities died down, I spent my time working on the 2 apartments that Sara rents out, cleaning, dry-walling and painting. Just like a real job, damn-near killed me. Pizza, beer and the NY news everyday and I'm a happy man.

I was lucky enough to get to 3 operas (standing room at back of orchestra section) at the Met: Hamlet, Aida and La Traviata. Also got into the room for the Saturday afternoon quiz when the opera was being radio broadcast. I have spent the last few years listening to these same broadcasts, it was pretty cool.

This week, it is a bus up to Bangor, Maine to meet the Gonzos at the annual Kenduskeag River Race that we go to every year. I won't be racing this year (arms are noodles), but will do support like I have in the past. It will be nice to be back with the 'croo.

My New York Day
===============

When we used to visit with the kids over the years, I would always take at least one day just for myself, usually leaving the house before 6:00 AM and returning some time after midnight. I would spend the day doing New York things (Central Park, Times Square, pizza, beer, baseball, music, street food).

This week, I got to spend a day like this. Took the express bus into town and subwayed up to Broadway and 112th for breakfast at the Seinfield diner ($6). Great food, fast service, lots of coffee and very New York. Down to the Met to get in line for same-day standing opera tickets to La Traviata ($22.50), check out the new iPad at the Apple store and start heading up to the Bronx and the new Yankee Stadium. It is the home opener and they are having the World Series ring ceremony, so all the cheap seats are gone. I deal with a few people pushing tickets, but end up with a foul pole seat in the second tier ($60). I actually only have the little mesh in front of me and stop noticing it after about 1 minute.

The ceremony is Yankee heaven, Yogi Berra, Whitey Ford, movies from the last 27 World Championships. So cool. The ovations just keep growing thru all the player introductions as they present the rings. The last one of course, is for Hideki Matsuki, who is now an Angel. Of course, who is the opposing team for the home opener??? The last ring is for him, and the place is absolutely frantic. I get goose bumps just thinking about it. I love baseball games, especially in New York, so this whole day is a real blast. I treat myself to a few beers ($11 each, Yousa!) and a hot dog ($8).

The day is not done yet. I head back into town and end up in my old bike messenger neighbourhood (Madison and 54th). No luck finding the building I worked in, but I did find a great burger joint and filled up. Off to the Metropolitan Opera. I go in early so I can read the program in full detail and treat myself to a glass of bubbly ($10). I mean, really..how often do you have these kinds of days in your life? I stand out on the balcony, watching the remaining patrons file in. As usual, my dress code (or lack thereof) elicits polite comments. I give them my excuse for not backpacking with a tux and the humour seems to go down well.

The opera is so beautiful. Violetta I supposed to be Angela Gheorghiu, but she has taken ill. Her replacement was wonderful. What she lacked in high-range, she made up with a gorgeous, clear voice. The crowd obviously agreed. The music was so subtle, the set changes got big cheers. It was yet again, another magic time at the Met

OK, was 15 minutes to the express subway, bus to Sara's and get home about 1 AM, or 19 hours after I left. Back in the day, I would have finished off this little adventure with a music club like the Rodeo Bar or CBGBs. The motor runs out earlier nowadays.

I love New York!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done, Bruce. Pleased to hear your on the last leg of your trip now. I bet you really are looking forward to being home!
Catch up with you again once you've come back down to earth!

all the very best
Mike Armitage

bcmurphy said...

Thanks Mike. Been on your website and Facebook pages. My pics not that clean and professional. Following your blog using Google Reader...waiting for a post