Friday, February 19, 2010

Qatar Oasis

The many months of travelling have been wearing me down in background mode. The last few countries (India and China) have exacted their toll and the batteries were definitely running low.

Earlier in the trip, Mike and Cindy O'Leary from Halifax had suggested that I stop in Doha for a week, should my travels take me to the Middle East. I am so glad that things worked out the way they did. I arrived in Doha last week, and was met at the airport (a first for this trip, even tho a few hostels ahd promised pickups) by the O'Leary's and their CDN friends (also working in the Middle East), Dan and Carolyn. The best words to describe how I felt that night were relief and happiness.

It was a wonderful week. We spent the first 2 days being busy (Terry Fox run, big amateur music party, simulated Calgary Stampede), then I got a chance to seriously chill for 4 days. Sleep in a big bed, wake up to coffee and omelettes, take a shower or bath, use the internet to catch up, do a few laundries, eat Western food suppers and drink a fair amount of Mike's beer.

Really, it was heaven and sorely needed. Now I feel all charged up and ready to tackle the last few months of this amazing trip.

Thanks Mike and Cindy for inviting me into your lives for a most relaxing visit.

4 comments:

ann.greg@ns.sympatico.ca said...

I felt the same way this week I was so tired. I had to work 3 days in a row at RONA. Can you imagine that? Almost slave labour I think. I haven't worked 3 days in a row in a year or two.

Now that I have my wind back, I can do the same thing next week. (When you work this many hours it is really hard to spend all my $$$ on my liquor bill...but I'm trying.)

My liver is getting one heck of a workout...I'll have to check with Don MacNeil to make sure I'm not working it too much.

Greg MacDonald

Unknown said...

Bruce:

We miss you already! Had a staff party at the Villa last night, avec tres music :>) Enjoy the rest of your trip. Mike & Cindy, Doha, Qatar

Jessie said...

In a hostel it is much more likely to start a conversation with a fellow traveller or to be asked for advice, tips and information by someone you have never met before.

Hoteles Rio

Hostels said...

Individual rooms in a hostel tend to be small and usually don't provide services like housekeeping. T

Pousada Buzios