Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Guilin and Hong Kong

Unfortunately, Guilin served up rain, fog and smog for my three days there. I can't complain, as I hadn't seen rain since back in November. Of the 2 places that I have visited on this trip that would need going back to Guilin will top the list (Coromandel Peninsula in New Zealand being the other one). Solitary Peak was a real treat, and also the extent of my sight-seeing in a place that reminds me so much of Vinales in Cuba that perhaps I had my expectations running just a little too high.



Hong Kong
=========

After almost 6 weeks of travel in Korea and China where the language barrier slowly but surely wears you down, I land in Hong Kong. The skies are clearer, people speak quite a bit of English, it is warm enough for shorts and I have money in my pocket that needs to be spent on Western food and beer.

The only other time I have felt this way was after Regina and I had just spent 3 weeks in pre-Solidarity Poland (1980), existing on the lowest level of food that I have experienced in my life. We arrive in West Berlin and the day is spent eating an amazing variety of food. So it is in Hong Kong. I treated myself to a steak and beer combo in a Western bar today. Cost enough to travel in China for almost 2 days. How do you justify that? Yin and yang. It all balances out.




Contrast and Expectations
=========================

One of my favorite words prior to this trip was contrast. Why do you run? Cause it feels so good to stop. The Gonzo tradition of ice cream after a few days of hiking, or hitting the showers after an hour of ploughing thru nasty winter weather, making dinner after a day of paddling in Gaspe. You need to endure some loss of comfort to truly enjoy the pleasures around you. Making Hong Kong after a few weeks in mainland China served up a nice level of contrast.

Thanks to my buddy David (whom I intend to visit in Botswana later in this trip) has given me the Buddhist concept of expectation to mull over. I agree, our expectations can literally overshadow our experiences. As I do my travelling, I try to keep my expectations as far in the shadows as I can. It is a daily struggle.

My example is bathrooms. All during this trip, I have encountered a stunning array of bathrooms. But it is my expectations that colour the use of these bathrooms, more than their actual state of repair/dis-repair. Give me a sloppy batroom in New Zealand and I'm upset. Find me an open stall in a crowded train station in Xi'an and I am ecstatic. Humans are weird creatures.

China 2010

3 comments:

Greg MacDonald said...

Ann and I were over at Jerome's in November for supper with his Swiss friends. His friends proceeded to describe the types of bathrooms they have used in their travels. Oh my God, Ann will never travel far again.

This mroning I'm refereeing basketball at Studley, and then we're going to Jenny's (North end) at 2 PM for beer and brunch. Like you say...contrasts.

Greg

In another land said...

Very true about the contrast in comfort level! I was near tears after landing in Bucharest to experience the "pirate taxis." (And had never seen Bruce unable to navigate any transport system). Cold, tired, hungry, being gyped, to be suddenly dumped into a luxury hotel with a king-sized bathroom was my yin & yang.

Anonymous said...

GREAT TO HEAR YOUR WELL BRUCE.LOOKING FORWARD TO A LIVE SIT DOWN.SAW ANGUS LAST WEEK,HE LOOKED GREAT AND ALSO LOOKS FORWARD TO YOUR STORIES.PICKED UP A NEW PC WITH WINDOWS 7 LAST WEEK-NOT MUCH FUN YET-TOOK A COUPLE OF DAYS TO FIND THE "@"SIGN.IMPORTANT IF YOU WISH TO USE E-MAIL.
GIVE MY GREETINGS TO DAVE.I EXPECT SUSIE MAYBE THERE NEAR THE SAME TIME.
TC