Thursday, July 23, 2009

Judy Norbury

I just finished my first week of Wwoofing. It was a very cool experience. Working outside all day, every day, eating healthy, basic food (some of it from the garden), meeting new people, adjusting to life on the road. The last time I did anything like this, I was in Israel working on a kibbutz. Same idea, you work for room&board. Of course, I was a lot younger then and didn't have so many habits. It is good to break out of the slowly hardening mold my life has been in the past few years.

I spent the last few months reading about Afghanistan, Pakistan and the Sahara and have just started getting into India (thinking I might just have to go there). Wouldn't you know it, Judy was born there and had written a book about it. Her mother had moved there with her husband and they had lived a magical life with a big house and quite a few servants. The book was a fascinating read. To be reading about someone's life as you live with them is a unique experience. Both Judy and Ross had been back to India a few times.

It was a great week. Judy celebrated her 60th birthday. Lots of family and friends visited. I joined Ross for his weekly peace rally in Courtenay and really enjoyed helping them work on their property.

The picture above says a lot. Ross is a bicycle designer, Judy is in a wheelchair. A very cool couple.

2 comments:

In another land said...

Very interesting as usual. Can't wait for the next installment; it's like a reality show only in text!

Unknown said...

Hey, missed your call.......again.
Grosse Grind--gotta love it.
Stanley Park---great spot--love to hear your stories,

Cheers

Bruce